Construction and Improvements in the Floodplain

  1. Engineering Services
  2. Flood Protection
Public Works

Development Services Building

171 N Ross St

Alison Frazier, P.E., CFM

Alison Frazier, P.E., CFM

Engineering Services Director / City Engineer

Floodplain Development Permit Requirements

To ensure the highest degree of safety, the Inspection Services Department enforces the adopted building, fire and related codes in the City of Auburn. Please be advised that a permit is required for ALL construction in the City of Auburn. Any development without a permit is non-compliant and may result in fines. If you know of any development taking place without the required permits or would like to verify a contractor’s license, please contact the City of Auburn Inspection Services Department, located at 171 North Ross Street (Suite 100), at (334) 501-3170.

Substantial Improvement Requirements

In order to participate in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), the City of Auburn has adopted regulations and codes that apply to new developments in floodplains. Local floodplain management regulations and codes contain minimum NFIP requirements that apply not only to new structures, but also to existing structures which are “substantially improved” or “substantially damaged”.

Substantially Damaged” means damage of any origin sustained by a structure whereby the cost of restoring the structure to it’s pre-damage condition would equal or exceed 50% of the market value of the structure before damage occurred.

Substantially Improved” means any reconstruction, rehabilitation, addition, or other improvements of a structure, the cost of which equals or exceeds 50% of the market value of the structure before the “start of construction” of the improvement. This term includes structures which have incurred “substantial damage”, regardless of the actual repair work performed.

The City of Auburn requires an elevation of one foot above the base flood elevation for new construction and for existing structures before they are repaired.

We have compiled a list of Contractors & Consultants knowledgeable or experienced in retrofitting techniques. This list can also be found in the Development Services Building located at 171 North Ross Street. The City of Auburn does not endorse any of the the contractors or consultants listed.

Checklist of Questions to Ask Your General Contractor